Last Saturday we buried Ruka in her favorite trivial pursuit box on the side of the house under some unidentified tree/bush that may or may not be a rhododendron or a forsythia or lavender… come April it will be a surprise to all of us.
I did a lot of research before telling Lucy about Ruka dying and everyone seemed to agree to be straight, honest and brief and let her come up with her own questions. Here is a smattering of what I’ve gotten so far:
- Now that the cat’s gone, can we get a dog? (this was the FIRST thing out of her mouth)
- Can she come visit? Well, if she can’t visit can we talk about her? Can we also talk about the dog that we are going to get now that Ruka is gone?
- If we are going to bury her in the ground will she roll around and play with the worms?
- Can we just plant her in a flower pot instead? We could plant her and grow growberries on top of her. (I have no idea what a growberry is)
- How did she die? Did her heart stop bleating?
- “Mommy, before we bury her are you going to take her legs?” “No, why?” “But how will she run?”
I miss my sweet little kitty but I have a feeling we are all going to be just fine.